Each year, MIST comes up with an annual theme which focuses the material of all the competitions and the topics of all the workshops on one specific and relevant topic.
“You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” -Khalil Gibran
Giving is an art. Mastering it requires three components: 1) finding and nurturing a deep concern for others, 2) developing valuable skills and traits that can be used to serve them, and 3) breaking free from any desires that hold us back from serving a cause greater than ourselves. The beauty of this art is that it inspires everyone to “pay it forward.” Not only does it honor the given, but it transforms the giver, as any true sacrifice enriches the self. Generosity then, is not about being a candle that burns away while giving light to others but a battery that recharges so it can keep on giving instead.
Generosity. Altruism. Charity. Selflessness. These words may sound nice, but what do they mean in practice? They can mean preferring others before ourselves or maybe even leaving our own comfort for a cause. They can be about humility and sacrifice, or just plain good manners and courtesy, about being charitable towards someone without expecting anything in return, or even “smiling in the face of your brother [or sister].” Think about it: what do you have or what can you do for those around you? What is it that they may want or need from you? Is it possible that in trying to find ways to help others, you may just find your own purpose, your own happiness, and your own self?
We challenge you to take a deeper look and analyze the various concepts surrounding this theme. Be creative! Projects and submissions with the most creativity and insight will receive the highest points. Remember, this theme will encompass all of the MIST competitions and workshops at both the regional and national levels. If you have any questions regarding this theme or anything else MIST-related, please do not hesitate to contact us!
Some reasons to be generous:
1. “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” -Ian MacLaren
2. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” -Mahatma Gandhi
3. “Today for you, tomorrow for me.” -Spanish proverb
4. “Give each other gifts, and you will love each other.” -Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
5. “The best of people are those who are of the most benefit to others.” -Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
6. “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.” -Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
7. “You will not attain righteousness until you give of that which you love.” -Quran 3:92
8. “God is in the aid of a person so long as the person is in the aid of his brother.” -Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
9. “Save yourself from hell-fire even by giving half a date-fruit in charity, and if you cannot find that, then with a kind word.” -Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
10. “A cup can only pour forth what it contains.” -Proverb
What are yours?
posted in | 0 Comments